Wednesday, March 10, 2010

There's Nothing Like Family!

I was so blessed to have my dad and sister come and visit from Minnesota a couple weeks ago!!  This was the perfect time, and exactly what I needed!  For twelve years now, I have talked about the Children's Shelter of Cebu and how much it means to me.  Only my brother has seen this place, since he was also on the team when I came in 1998.  Now I was finally able to show this amazing ministry first-hand to two more members of my family!  How cool to be able to link two worlds that are so important to me. 

I was able to show them all around the shelter, the school, Teen Home, Good Shepherd Road :), my house, the local mall, and even the doctor's office and hospital where I seem to have too many memories!  We were able to relax at the beach, do some sightseeing around Cebu on a city tour, do some cultural shopping, take some kids out for pizza, go to a couple birthday parties, and just hang out with the kids.  They even spent a whole day at school with me while I taught and did library time!

The children loved meeting my dad and sister, and my dad and sister loved meeting them!  It was quite surreal to realize that they were actually HERE and that I wasn't dreaming!  My time with them was very special and meant the world to me.  There's just something about family that fills you up, encourages you, and spurs you on in a way that nothing else can.  I am so grateful for their week here!!!!
I was SOOO excited at the airport, and Niagara Falls were flowing!  Even my hair went crazy! ;)
Long-awaited, much-needed hugs from my dad and sister!!!!  We were all crying. :)
On their first day in Cebu, we took some kids out for pizza!
Enjoying the beach
On a free boat ride at the beach - where we even saw dolphins!!
Christine and Dad sitting in on my class.
The three of us with my math class.
Up at TOPS, which overlooks Cebu City
It didn't take long for Christine to figure out how awesome these kids are!
Darryl and his buddy Darel :)
A great shot of some of my favorite people from BOTH sides of the world!

3 comments:

  1. Michelle, it was great to meet your dad and sister!! I can't even imagine how wonderful it was to have them there and experience first-hand what you and I both know to be one of the most AMAZING experiences a person could ever have!! I have to admit that I was a little bit jealous, because I desperately would love to show my family what I have been a part of three times now (and more to come, for sure). These pictures are great, and I LOVED the Darryl and Darel bit! =) Miss you!!!! Todd Erickson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle - it was SUCH fun reading this. I am so glad you had the blessing of having family visit you in Cebu. After my 5-month journey away from home, I understand the importance of their hugs and seeing their smiles face-to-face. It just makes my heart happy knowing all the memories you guys created together and the encouragement you received. May it give you strength for months to come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm SO glad I was able to come!!!!!!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete