Monday, March 15, 2010

Blessed by Uncle Marv and Visitors

CSC regularly welcomes visitors.  I can't even count how many we've had in the nine months I've been here!  It is so fun and wonderful to meet people, hear their story and what brought them to CSC, and see them fall in love with this place, the ministry, and the kids.  It reminds me of my first trips here and how the "magic" of this place struck deep in my heart and changed my life forever.  I really don't think it's possible for someone to visit this place and not be changed.  God's hand is truly on this ministry and has been for many years.  It's evident from the moment you come through the big green gate and see the smiles on the kids' faces!

Just in the last couple months, we have had visitors from Minnesota, Massachussetts, Australia, Romania, Alaska, and Washington- wow!  This last week, we had a visitor by the name of Marv at CSC.  He is originally from Minnesota, but now lives in Alaska.  This is the third time he has visited CSC, and the kids enjoyed his return!  He was quite the hit, as he did a variety of things with them.  He ate meals with them, hung out with them, took role in each class in the mornings with the "Locoy" puppet, taught the kids all about Alaska in Library time, played for Level B's Morning Meeting, taught about worship and led songs in Music class, and led praise and worship for a program for the kids.  Thanks to Marv for coming and loving these kids!!!
(Uncle Marv is the puppet!)
Taking role call!
Showing the Goup 1 kids where Alaska is in Library Time.
Thanking Uncle Marv for reading to them!
Teaching Group 3 about Alaska
Group 3 is fascinated with Uncle Marv's video about the Iditerod!
Group 2's turn
Playing for Level B's Morning Meeting songs
Worship and singing for Music class
Leading worship at the program
Saying good-bye
Farewell for Uncle Marv

We said good-bye to Uncle Marv at Friday night's program, and we will say good-bye to the dental team tonight.  It's been interesting for me this year to not be the visitor, like I was in 1998, 2000, and 2007.  This time, being here for one year, puts me on the other side of the fence.  Now I'm one of the ones saying good-bye and staying here.  It has really opened my eyes.  The people and kids here have to say good-bye a lot!  I'm horrible at good-byes, and I don't think they've gotten any easier since I arrived here. 

I've met so many wonderful people and made several new friends this year, and it's been sad to have to say good-bye to people so soon after getting to know each other.  It's wonderful though how God worked it out in my life to cross paths with so many incredible people.  There have even been "small world" moments as people have shown up and said they know someone I know back on the other side of the world!  Our visitors have inspired and encouraged me in a number of ways!  Thanks to all the visitors who have come in the last few months - you have been a blessing!

No comments:

Post a Comment