Sunday, March 7, 2010

From the Passenger-Side Window

I don't drive here in Cebu.  Sometimes I see that as quite the blessing.  (If you've seen the roads here, you know exactly what I mean!)  Other times, it's kind of odd/inconvenient.  After 10 years of having my license and a car available to me in Minnesota, it was quite the unusual thing to switch back to relying on friends, colleagues, and public transportation to get somewhere....kind of like being in Jr. High again! :)  So in the last almost nine months, I have become quite accustomed to the passenger seat and seeing life from the passenger-side window.

Driving down the road here is anything but mundane, ordinary, or typical.  Just the traffic itself is amusing - there are very few traffic rules.  If you want to make four lanes out of one, go ahead.  If you want to stop in the middle of the road for a while, no problem.  U-turn in the middle of traffic at any random point, even in the midst of oncoming traffic?  Sure, why not!  As long as you have a working car horn to tell people, "I'm coming, so look out!", you're fine. 

I love just watching the sights go by, and never cease to be amazed.  Sometimes I'm shocked, sometimes deeply saddened, sometimes disturbed, sometimes perplexed, sometimes in awe!  I have referred to walking/driving down the road as "sensory overload", as there are so many sights, sounds, and smells.  There is always something new and different.   I love looking at the people on the road and wondering what their story is.  Who are they?  Where do they live?  Do they work?  What is their family like?  What do they do every day?  Do they know God?  What's their life story?

Even when I do have my camera handy and in my lap, it isn't possible to capture every Kodak Moment on the streets of Cebu.  Here are a few though.  I hope this gives you a small glimpse/understanding of our home here!
There are roosters everywhere!  Most are used for cock fights!
Stuck behind a huge truck loaded down
On the way to school
We have lots of goats, especially on the road by the shelter and school.
Cute heart taillights :)
There are also bakeshops everywhere!  This is the one we stop at on the way to school if we didn't have breakfast.  Yummy cinnamon rolls for only 5 pesos - about 10 cents!
Walking back from school to the shelter.
Very typical to see people riding in the back of trucks
The wires around here are fascinating.  This isn't even the worst!
Roadside vendor
Barber shop
Roadside stores
I've counted about 20 different pizza places here!
Cows are lacking a little meat on their bones here.
Lumberyard?
"Motors" are very common here, and I've seen as many as six people on one!  Also have seen (several times) very small children on them - with no helmet! :(
Cebu's "Hollywood" studio
Jeepneys are the main form of public transportation, in addition to taxis.  They come in all sorts of colors and varieties, and are sometimes packed full!
Another way of getting around
A marching band practicing on a random corner
One of our huge malls in the distance
People walk between cars to sell things.

At Christmastime, there were unique Nativity scenes all over town!  This one was made from water bottles!
Meat at the market
A Catholic church - the main religion of the Philippines
Fruit stands are also common - the mangoes here are THE BEST!!!!
Amazing what you see people carrying on their heads here
This guy is selling little birds with little cages to go with them.  Mitch was trying to convince me to buy one.  I said no. :)
Filipinos seem to be able to fall asleep anywhere!
There was a fiesta at the Catholic church, so there was lots going on!  There are typically lots of people out on the streets here anyway.
Selling goodies to the fiesta-goers
This woman was selling candles for people going into the church.  Side note - Filipinos squat like this a lot - for long periods of time!  It's impressive - takes a lot of leg muscles!
Shacks are very typical "houses" here.  Poverty is widespread and many people live day-to-day with their roadside store or selling something from a cart.

2 comments:

  1. Great pictures Michelle. Very informative! Looking forward to seeing you in 2 months!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, this is an awesome post!! I feel like I've been on a city tour all over again! I love the picture of the Nativity scene made from water bottles! I'm just so glad I was fortunate enough to be there for a couple of weeks! I really enjoy reading your thoughts and seeing the pictures you post! Take care!!

    ReplyDelete