Saturday, March 27, 2010

Practically Fluent...or NOT!! :)

In a city where Cebuano is the local language, it's good to know a few words.  Although many people know some English, it is taught in schools, and most signs and menus are in English, Cebuano is the first language of the people in this city.  Since we are required to speak in English at school (including the students), I am not put in a position very often where I need to know Cebuano.  Hence the reason why I haven't picked up very much of the language...  It's funny how many times I have almost started speaking Spanish when I know that I need to use the local dialect.  I usually catch myself right before the words come out of my mouth, reminding myself that I'm not in Mexico!!

Most of my Cebuano teaching has come from my students, and there really is no rhyme or reason to the lessons.  It kind of depends on what comes up!  Either they say something that I don't understand, so I clarify it, or they believe that it is important for me to know a certain word at that time and place.  In my classroom, there is a poster of words I have learned, and then a section of the whiteboard where there are words that I am learning.  We aren't as great at reviewing as we used to be.  They used to quiz me daily on the new words, and would explode with excitement when I would remember something..."Yay!!  You know it!!!  You can write it on the paper!!"  Yay for the little things in life! :)

There are a few words that haven't been added to the yellow poster yet, and these definitely probably aren't the exact spellings, but they are what I got from the children. :)
The great thing is that some Cebuano words are the same as Spanish words!  Bingo, immediate words I know! :)
Words I'm learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment