Sometimes living out a dream on the other side of the world means you miss some big things back at home. Obviously this is hard, and I knew it would be. I prepared myself the best I could for that when I came. Besides of course missing family and friends, I'm missing some big events. I've missed weddings of two very special people in my life, and a third is approaching. Missed my grandma's 85th birthday party (but was able to Skype during the party, so that was fun!), a family trip to Alaska, a visit from a special great-aunt, events with relatives, and seeing my cousin on his leave from Iraq. Also missing some special baby showers/births. Will miss holidays, birthdays (including Jason's 30th!), and my sister's band concerts. This weekend I'm missing my five-year college reunion. My experience at Northwestern College was a significant time in my life, and the friends I made there were very special. Missing the big KTIS 60th anniversary events...that might sound weird that I would mention that, but my family has a long history with KTIS and my grandpa was Network Manager for many years. It's a special legacy that is dear to my heart. On the other hand, when I leave here next year, I will miss seeing these precious children. I will miss their birthday parties, their special presentations and programs, their recitals, their adoptions, and their hugs and smiles. I will miss seeing the progress they make educationally and emotionally as they heal from difficult pasts. I will miss encouraging and loving them, spurring them on. I will miss pouring out everything I have to help make better lives for these children. I will also miss the staff here, who are starting to become like a second family to me. We spend a lot of time together and have many good times and laughs.
To be honest, sometimes I wonder why God gave me a heart for a place that is halfway across the globe. Not very convenient in the eyes of a typical human being....but God never really looks at convenience. :) Convenient or not, I cannot imagine my life without CSC. It changed the entire course of my life for 11 years after I came here in 1998 - from "God, please don't make me a missionary" (seriously) to going on several missions trips, leading missions trips, and then becoming a missionary! I can also assure you it will change the course for the rest of my life after spending a year here. I'm not exactly sure how, but I know it will. This ministry means so much to me, more than I can ever put into words. I am humbled and blessed to be a part of it. Thanks to all of you who have made this possible for me! I'm excited to continue to see what God has in store...even in the midst of missing big things....

No comments:
Post a Comment