Monday, September 28, 2009

Lesson on Chinese Culture

I have a tube of chapstick on my desk at school.  My kids have asked if it's lipstick.  I've explained that it's chapstick to help when you have dry lips.  They looked kind of confused, so we were able to relate it to a gluestick...kind of....except that it's for your lips....  So they've gotten used to seeing me use it from time to time.

Today, Jeffrey was near my desk and said, "Hey, it's your chapstick!  Chinese use chapstick!"  I looked confused and said, "I'm not Chinese, and I use chapstick."  He assured me that Chinese do indeed use it - that they use it to eat their food (as he made a motion with his hand).  The light went off in my brain and I started laughing, "Ohhhh, CHOPSTICKS!  That's different than chapstick!!"  I proceeded to write the two words on the board and explain the difference. :)

I'm amazed at how Jeffrey is so up on things culturally - he's also the one who taught me earlier in the year that my skin is white because it snows in Minnesota....AND that it's so COLD in Africa that people turn black in 10 minutes!! 

It's fascinating what I'm learning here! ;)  Thanks, Jeffrey!

No comments:

Post a Comment