Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Hot Dog for Breakfast


This morning when Tammy and I arrived at work, we were surprised to see some of the Level C1 kids at school already - 45 minutes early!  Bernardo grinned from ear-to-ear as he held a plate with several bright pink hot dogs on it (a typical hot dog color here).  The kids ran right up to us, "Teacher Tammy!  Teacher Meeechelle!  Do you want to buy a hot dog??!"  I was a little caught off guard, partly because I was still waking up, partly wondering what they were doing at school so early, partly trying to figure out what on earth they were doing with hot dogs - and selling them - at 7:15 in the morning!  As we went a little farther, we saw signs on the teacher's room and snack room doors announcing that there were hot dogs for sale for the low price of only 10 pesos!  (about 20 cents) 


Apparently, Level C1 is learning about starting a business and how to run a business.  Hence, the plan to make hot dogs early at school, then sell them to the teachers for breakfast as they arrived.  I told the bouncing kids to come find me in a couple minutes.  Bernardo, Paula, and Riza Mae did indeed track me down, shouting "Teacher Meechelle, there is only one left!!!!".  Still all-smiles, Bernardo was holding the plate with the hot dog, Paula had a small plastic container for money, and Riza Mae was proudly carrying a bottle of ketchup.  Riza put on her best saleswoman voice and said, "Would you like to have a hot dog?  They are absolutely DELICIOUS, SCRUMPTIOUS!..."  Of course I couldn't resist! - Despite the fact that I'd already eaten breakfast and had never had a hot dog for breakfast in my life!!!  These kids can manage to put a smile on your face at pretty much any hour of the day - even 7:15am, with a bright pink hot dog in hand. :)

1 comment:

  1. Love it Michelle! I uesd to eat hot dogs for breakfast when I was in elementary school---believe it or not!

    I love seeing your love for your students teacher michelle!

    ReplyDelete