I'm waaaay behind in blog posts. At any given time the last couple weeks, I've had about 7-10 posts running through my head. Too bad they haven't quite made it down "on paper" yet! I'm sorry to my faithful blog readers for the delay. :) Now you'll get the full (LOOONG) scoop on all my missed Christmas posts!
As weird or tacky as it may be, I'm going to head back about 3 weeks and cover several things I've been wanting to share! Christmastime was indeed as busy as I expected it to be around here! It's amazing to me how many wonderful activities and events the staff has for the precious children and workers here to make their Christmas special. I have a whole new appreciation for the staff here as I watched them tirelessly make December a success for every person involved. Wow!! I have many wonderful memories of the past few weeks....
The day after the progressive dinner (see previous post), we had a Christmas party for the kids in our neighborhood. Sandy and Tammy always have a gathering for these kids and their parents at Christmastime. After sharing a bit about Christmas, they got a "snack" of spaghetti, clementines, and chips. Then they all got to pick one article of clothing, one toy, and received a small bag of groceries. It's neat to see how Sandy and Tammy have reached beyond the walls of ministry at CSC and also look to bless their own needy neighborhood kids at this time of year. It was so fun to see the smiles on all of their faces!
SOMEONE's gotta eat the leftover frosting! :)
The last group of kids that decorated.
Christmas Eve evening brought "gifts from Santa", a long-awaited day for the kids! In true CSC Christmas fashion, Paul Healy had worked up quite the elaborate set of events leading up to the gift-giving. This year it included a (fictional) plot by the Teen Home kids to get all the gifts this year, allowing the Banawa (regular residences) kids no gifts. There were even two Santas on hand, including the CSC-beloved "little person" Remil, who has helped with many CSC events! Some of the Teen Home kids received a little "punishment" for their "plot"....Julieto and Roselyn were thrown in the pool and Maria was dowsed with a bucket of water. In the end though, all the kids received gifts of course. :)The little elves who pulled in Santa #2
Some of the preschoolers singing us a Christmas song.
Gathered and ready for the big evening!
Santa #2 rolls in!
Quite an eventful evening, trying to determine who the culprits were and who should really get the gifts - the TEEN HOME or the BANAWA kids!
Julieto being thrown in the pool!
Ohlendorfs in their awesome Christmas shirts!
After the crazy fun of the gifts, the children went home overly excited and the staff went for a late Christmas Eve dinner at a local restaurant. We had fun reminiscing the events of the evening and the excitement of the children with their gifts.
Sherri came all the way from MN to spend Christmas with us - A promise she made to me right away when I told her I was coming to Cebu for a year!
Later that afternoon, we headed to the shelter, finding the kids all-smiles and fully enjoying their new toys and activities. For Christmas dinner, we had a special candlelight dinner outside with all the CSC kids complete with tablecloths, candles, Christmas centerpieces, quiet Christmas music, and platters of food at each table for a family-style dinner. I sat with Angillo, Sheena, Cyril, Jeffrey, Argei Kem, and Ruth. It was very special and meaningful to have Christmas dinner with these kids, who really have become a part of my family this year. One of the big topics of conversation at our table was how yummy the food was and which foods were our favorites!! We had ham, potatoes, rice (of course!), green bean casserole, mango, pineapple, and Christmas cookies!
Each of the kids got a new book for Christmas!
After a scrumptious dinner, we all packed up and headed over to the Teen Home, where the staff presented the real Christmas story in a live nativity format - complete with a real cow, horse, and sheep! Some parts were planned ahead, some were assigned in the brief moments prior to the start. We were rushing around inside, throwing on costumes as Paul shouted out orders of who was going to be who and where and what to do! I had previous been asked if I would be Mary. Wow, what an honor. I have never been Mary before! I managed to get a blue bedsheet around me and a baby doll in my hands. After Ruth stapled the top of it shut around my neck, I was set to go! :) Before we knew it, we were on our way out to an anxiously-awaiting audience. Paul read the story as we silently acted it out and the angel choir sang songs to go with each part of the story. It was a very cool way to experience the real Christmas story - the true meaning of Christmas. That's another blog...maybe I'll post that later. :)
Live Nativity scene, complete with cow (left), sheep (middle), and horse (right)
Angel choir sang Christmas songs during each part
Wise Ohlendorf men
I'm back there in the middle by the manger
The cow! Almost trampled me when I made my entrance with Joseph!
Christmas evening here was Christmas morning back home in MN. Thanks again to the awesome invention of Skype, I was able to attend part of my family's Christmas at home too, complete with the annual family Christmas picture! It was hard to be away from them for the holidays, but it was a blessing to be able to connect with them as much as I did, thanks to modern technology! I love them very, very, very much!
Oh, but Christmas wasn't over yet!! The day after Christmas, the staff finally was able to take a deep breath and have our own Christmas celebration. We had a yummy dinner of tacos at the Ohlendorfs, then a gift exchange. Everyone did a great job picking gifts for the person's name they had drawn. It was neat to be able to have one last Christmas celebration together as a staff, enjoying the holiday and each other's company after a month of much excitement and hard work. .jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)

.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)

awww.. =0)
ReplyDelete*tear*