First I need to mention the funny moment from dinner.... The staff had been delivered sloppy joes, and as I prepared to enjoy mine, I was surrounded by several children who bombarded me with questions about what it was. I did my best to explain what it was and why it was called a SLOPPY JOE! They kept watching and waiting for the "sloppy" part that I had explained, but I guess I was too neat to prove that point too much. Oops!
The highlight of the evening was definitely watching "Home Alone 2" outside with all of them. I have seen that movie several times, but I have never laughed at it as hard as I did tonight. The kids were bouncing, roaring, and rolling with laughter, and when you have about 35 kids busting their sides like that, it makes for a hilarious movie! I'm not sure if I was laughing harder at the movie or the kids' laughing! It's great to see them smile and laugh...
I looked around a few times during the movie, reminding myself that life is so different now that they are here at CSC. They can sit around and laugh hysterically at a movie and not worry about the basic things of life anymore. As GiGi, little Christian, Jocelyn, and Joselito all took turns sitting/laying by/on me or using my legs as a pillow, I was reminded that this is what it's all about here at CSC....showing these kids love in many simple ways throughout the days. Tonight that meant letting them lay in my lap during a movie, letting them grab my hands during the tense parts, laughing with them at the funny parts (especially when they would turn and look at me to make sure I was laughing too!), and maybe even just being a "really good pillow" as Jocelyn told me, and Joselito heartily agreed with, ha! :)
After the movie, it was time for bed. It's the first time I've been at the shelter during bedtime, and it was very special. I made the rounds, saying good-night, giving good-night hugs, and assuring them of how much they are loved. Not something a typical teacher usually gets to do!
I looked at a few of the little kids already sleeping and thought....this is amazing....these kids can go to sleep in these cozy beds in a beautiful home....not on a dirt floor or a hard wooden cot. They can go to sleep knowing that they are safe, that they are loved and cared for, that they will have three meals tomorrow, and that there will be yet another thing to smile and laugh about tomorrow. That's what CSC is all about - offering hope to children who didn't have much, if any, before coming to us....offering a chance to be a kid again, to laugh again, to love life again.
This is why I love this place.
This is why I love this place.





Sometimes I think that you will not be coming home. Posts like this make me wonder! You are loved Michelle....
ReplyDelete