Adelyn and I started lessons about a month ago, and have practiced 3-4 times, usually once a week. On the first day, she was eager to put together the flute and immediately play a beautiful song, but she (and I) realized quite quickly that we had to start at square one. Really, it was square one... we started with how to open the case. :) (Not the easiest case to open either!) Then I taught her how to assemble the flute, hold it correctly, and where to put her fingers. She was sooo excited to be holding the flute!
We quickly moved to just trying to make a sound out of the mouthpiece, and I racked my brain, trying to remember how I learned how to play! Although it was quite challenging, she was able to eventually get a couple good sounds out on day 1, which both of us were THRILLED about!! :) She gets dizzy very quickly, so we don't practice very long, but she gives 110% for the time we do! After many many tries today, she again got some clear sounds out, and she was beaming!!! She was so excited, listing off the people she needed to tell! On our walk back to the shelter from school today, she confirmed that we would practice flute on her birthday - which is next Monday, our next lesson day. She's excited that flute lessons are landing on her big day - and her golden birthday, nonetheless! I'm very proud of her for her hard work and perseverance. Flute is not an easy instrument to learn!!

No comments:
Post a Comment